Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A volunteer's Experience

I dont believe my time at Happy Life is over.  After spending 3 months there it was time to pack and go home.  Wish I didn’t have to, I really felt like home already. As I write this there are 2 days since my driver backed out of the front gate, with me crying in the back seat. I still don’t believe that I’m not there anymore, I can’t stop going through my pictures with tears in my eyes. Happy life really touched my heart.


 There are so many children that I love and miss, but also I got moms and friends there that I will never forget. When you’re on your own faraway from family and friend it’s always good to feel that there is someone there for you and that’s something I truly felt



I fell in love with one baby boy I think even before I got there.   I saw his picture few days before my journey started and when we meet he was like my own right away. His smile just makes my day every time.  As the days went by I kept falling in love with all of the kids one by one.
I think every child there has touched me in some way, their background, their need for love and attention, their smiles and hugs and also the love I received from them. They all take their own time to decide when they are ready to let you be their friend, some are your best friend as soon as they see you for the first time but others the take all the time they need. And no matter how long it takes it‘s always as great to earn their love and trust.  Spending 3 months with babies means a lot of changes, they are at that ages that you can see them growing day by day. Seeing the first smile, learning to sit and stand and some even to walk, wow I was and always will be so proud of them.
As hard it was to leave it helps a lot knowing how well the children are taken care off. I miss the moms and the staff as much as I miss the children. And I admire them for the terrific job they do. They really amaze me. It also helps to know that volunteers will keep on coming to stay and help. With more people around makes the day better for everyone I think. I really encourage everyone that wants to be a volunteer to apply at Happy life.  I have been thinking about volunteering for a long time and something always came up so I never did anything about it. But earlier this year I knew it was time and I’m so glad that Happy life was the home I got to experience. I think it was the best place for me to stay at. It has been a life changing experience that I will always keep in my heart. 

Here are few pictures that I love:
 Me and the big children having an awesome day together


 The last baby that came to Happy life before I left was a two day old boy. I got to name him and his name is Gabriel



Some of the best times are moments like this. Here I’m with Daniela (4 weeks). She really loves to have a good talk. It so great to see her just looking at you when you talk to her, it’s like she is really listening.



The week I got to meet these gorgeous babies might just be the hardest one there. They all came as a new born and they are all born in the same week.  On this picture they are all under two weeks. Now they are almost three months and have grown so much. 
Thank you Happy life for changing my life.
Anna Thora

No comments:

Post a Comment